Lingfield Masonic Lodge – Our emblem
Explanation of the Lingfield Lodge Motto
The University of Oxford was approached earlier this year for an interpretation of the Lodge Motto – “Caementum Plin Ducere” and the following reply was received:
Caementum is a stone block (presumably giving us the term cement).
Ducere primarily means to lead, but could be used of construct in this context.
The problematic word is ‘plin’. This must be some sort of abbreviation. If it is for ‘plinthus’, then it is the plinth or base under a column. ‘plinthis’ meanwhile is a square (base), again associated with a plinth.
“The best interpretation I can come up with is the idea of turning a stone block into something fully fashioned (the polishing of a rough diamond as it were).”
Masonry is about guiding a person emblematically through their mortal existence from helpless indigence to their death.
This is like taking a rough stone and, using various tools, the mason produces a perfectly crafted piece of stone.
The interpretation above of ‘polishing a rough diamond’ is a perfect explanation of our motto, since that is what Masonry tries to achieve for its members.
Explanation of the Lodge Motif
Since the consecration meeting our summons has depicted the St. Peter’s cross with village cage (a grade 1 listed building) which stands in Plaistow Street, Lingfield, Surrey.
The cross was built circa 1437 as a boundary marker with cage added in 1773. It is constructed in coursed stone with a hipped Horsham slab roof pyramidal over the tower.
The cell is to the north with square stepped tower to south. There are rectangular openings to each face of the tower and a flat plinth to the former cross on top.
To the south face there is an inscribed panel detailing the history of the cross and cage.
The cell to the north has a planked door on the north side and a grilled opening above to centre.
The former village cage was used for locking up wrongdoers and was last used in 1882.
The cross and cage form an important focal point by the village pond.
The original tradition stated that the tower had been surmounted by a cross, on the top of which was a basin, as a recipient of holy water for the use of the church, the local spring being heavy with mineral salts.
The cross has since disappeared but a basin remains.